Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Remembering YouTube

My title "Remembering YouTube" might sound like I mean to eulogize, as if YouTube is behind us now. It isn't, not in 2023. The title is more meant as a mental exercise: for me. I'm taking a fresh look, and remembering YouTube in a way I've never imagined it before, according to the coordinate system (memory scheme) of an experienced content creator.

Let's remember, for context, that I'm a content creator myself, but not one with mass appeal or even monetization. I might as well not exist, in terms of the YouTube subcultures talked about above, vast and sprawling, with their own memes. However, as the tip of an iceberg, I do represent a subculture more generally, just one with a strictly limited tip on YouTube (as well as on Rumble, while we're at it).

You might be thinking: "how do you have the time to dive in to pop culture in such a time intensive way, don't you care about the design science revolution?" Ah, but I do care. Study of pop culture is essential to my work. Education automation. Freeing the scholar to return to his studies. Memes. Like I said.

I'm cutting and pasting from Zachary's description, in hopes of giving myself more guidance as I proceed with my project (of remembering YouTube): 

0:00 Introduction
1:20 What is YouTube Subculture?
5:30 Smosh Subculture
9:48 h3h3 Subculture
15:50 Gus Johnson, Eddy Burback, and Abelina Sabrina Schism
20:15 Idubbbz Subculture
25:46 Creator Clash 2

Channels primarily featured in this video:

   / @anthonypadilla  
   / @smosh  
   / @h3podcast  
   / @h3h3productions  
   / @gustoonz  
   / @eddyburback  
   / @abelinasabrina  
   / @idubbbztv  
   / @idubbbztv2  
Museum of Pop Culture
:: MoPOP ::