Sunday, August 06, 2023

Alternatives to Violence

I'm hosting an alternatives to violence guy -- spelled out in lower case because he's never heard of Alternatives to Violence (AVP), a formalized training workshop often held in prisons. 

He's worked in a prison, in a program designed to recruit and/or cultivate Independent Thinkers. 

Andrius Kulikauskas is Lithuanian, though born and raised in California. His main interest these days is his Math 4 Wisdom network / community, of which I am also a member.

I met his plane on Friday night. He was coming from a Category Theory conference at the University of Maryland. He is aware of my project and agenda: to track the progress we're making, with some of the ideas from Synergetics in higher ed.

Today I plan to introduce him to Quaker meeting at the meetinghouse nearby.

Some of his past work focused on tensions in Africa. Without visiting in person, but with strategically targeted $100 wire transfers, he was able to network with folks on the ground who were able to help diffuse situations in which armed youth gangs had taken over roads, to/from Nairobi for example.

Andrius is rather well versed in Lithuanian history, unlike myself, and so I'm using this opportunity to get more of the story. By filling in more of the gaps in my knowledge base, I'm better able to appreciate unfolding events in Ukraine and so on.