Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Wanderers 2009.4.8

We're sitting around with our laptops. Only Glenn and Patrick aren't running one. Don gave us an update on Jon, sending our greetings and well wishes, looking forward to his return.

Dr. DiNucci advertised Roy Zimmerman's coming to Portland this month, plugged into the house sound system and played us a YouTube. Tom Lehrer endorses the guy for "reintroducing literacy to comedy songs".

Bill Sheppard is once again sharing his circuit diagram for his Not-a-Theramin, plus has the real deal in a cookies box. This would make a fun Saturday Academy project -- I wonder if Gordon Hoffman ever made use of it. I wish I understood it better.

Out in cyberspace, I'm creating a disturbance around the Synergetics Coordinates page on Wikipedia, which attributes this claptrap to Bucky Fuller, making no mention of Clifford Nelson anywhere. The guy needs to take responsibility for his own work and stop piggy-backing.

That being said, having a real Wikipedia page on Fuller's Synergetics, versus just Haken's is long overdue. I've been taking the line that academia itself should step up to the plate. Maybe I'm "academia itself" then? I'm certainly getting quite hawkish about proper citations.

I published the following tentative outline to Synergeo this morning:
Synergetics: Explorations in the Geometry of Thinking

History
  • Bow Tie Universe
  • Collaboration with Applewhite (Cosmic Fishing)
  • Secondary Literature
Contents
  • Concentric Hierarchy
  • Jitterbug Transformation
  • Modules
  • Geodesic Spheres
  • Tensegrity
Controversy
  • Vocabulary
  • Categorization
  • Related Concerns
My thanks to David Koski for forwarding the Kite posting to the Poly list, about the Penrose kite. Fuller's kite lives in a different namespace and is either a kat or a kate (half-couplers) the two ways to face-bond sytes, in turn composed of mites. Is that so incomprehensible? Certainly this is primitive information that deserves some mention in the Wikipedia article. I'm not aware of any universities sharing it, except maybe Princeton.

Also in cyberspace: I'm enthusing about Sage, a Pythonic version of Mathematica in some ways.