Monday, August 05, 2019

Maps of the Mind


I'm not ripping off a title so much as pointing to that very title:  Maps of the Mind by Charles Hampden-Turner. I believe I have more than one copy.

The one open next to me has yellow highlighter pen annotations and is open on Map 44:  Freud's French Revolution: Jacques Lacan interpreted by Sherry Turkle.

That sounds pretty cerebral doesn't it, and that's just one of so many maps of the mind contained herein.  Having these collected and presented in "map" format is valuable, if only because "map" and "planet" go together, or "cosmic body" or "polyhedron" (thinking of wire-frames, i.e. networks or graphs).

Yes, R. Buckminster Fuller gets a map in tandem with others.  Not the "omnidirectional halo" (No More Secondhand God) or biosphere model (with twilight zones).  However I'm going back to Lacan for the purposes of this post.

In a recent Youtube I feature another Youtube about the genesis of the new logo of the International Mathematicians Union (IMU).  I cite the opening section on the Jitterbug, however this is a hypertoon that passes on to the three intersecting phi rectangles of the icosahedron, and then Borromean Rings.

Borromean Rings are displayed as the Lacan mind map, three interlocking head-shaped rings.  These rings form a special topology and were used in the branding associated with the Borromeo family, hence the name.  Lacan finds a use for this metaphor.  So does the IMU.

I'm planning to share these details in my next Youtube, as I'm expecting content in that form will provide the higher bandwidth people often need to get first impressions.  If the judgement is sufficiently in favor of exploring more, then maybe my writings become more what to study.

In my case, I came to Alan Watts through his writings in my teens and twenties, whereas I didn't take in much audio until I could mine Youtube for that purpose.