Hah hah, fooled ya. I meant weed hacker lore. That’s a device (a weed hacker is), as in Over the Hedge.
I’ve been joking how I’m “keeping up with the Jones’s” which means competing with others in one’s neighborhood to show off one’s worldly goods. Having a flashy new midlife crisis car in the driveway is classic. That’s not me though: my Nissan is from 1997.
Keeping up with the Jones’s is a way of showcasing one’s own prosperity, or at the very least one’s ability to keep up appearances, and then maybe take it to the next level if one gets lucky and hits the jackpot.
In the Norman Rockwell version, Asteroid City trad-wives would gossip over the back fence about their latest appliances, inflaming jealousy and subtle hints to the hubby that it might be time to ask for that promotion. A willingness to relocate helps. There’s always another McMansion waiting on the other end.
My old podunk electric weed hacker in the garage, which needs to be plugged in (long cord), is just a toy compared to this new guy, this new cordless “energy slave” I just unboxed. I’ll be able to pleasure the landlord nextdoor with my more manicured-looking side yard, typically a gnarly briar patch.
No, this is not a promotional posting. Ego is not paying me (that’s the brand). I’m just narrating a sequence of events. I acquired the Ego in Springfield, the town made famous by The Simpsons.
There’s another meaning of Jones however, and I’m not talking about Davy Jones (the guy with the locker), no, I mean Generation Jones.
You can look it up: some demographers decided it made sense, at least in the population they studied, to split the Boomers into two, by renaming the latter portion of the wave to Jones, in recognition of various sea-changes.
What were those sea-changes? Why not inspire some comments and discussion among my Facebook friends?

