Thursday, August 01, 2024

Little Tehran

:: our representatives ::

Of course I'm referencing some previous potus calling us by that name, "we the city" that is, "Little Beirut". Of course that's an honor. Beirut, like Portland, is a great university town, and as such, is plugged into the whole world, not just into the regional motherboard.

We've had a lot of big name and not so well known Portlanders go to Iran for various reasons, over the years, me included, in the time of the Shah. I have memories of Tehran, Isfahan and Shiraz. Portland hopes its sister city relationship with Shiraz will be acknowledged. Certainly it's been overt on our side, how we feel about another Rose City of such awesomeness.

I'm reposting my slides of a past Iranian Festival, celebrating our Farsi-speaking population, which is no recent newcomer, nor our Russians. What made America great, if it was, were Iranians and Russians, among others, and any politician who forgets that is simply broadcasting what's weak about our public education system: it breeds know-nothings, who run for office and, worse yet, win.

Oh so does that mean Portland is Judeophobic? Are you kidding me? You've never been here right? I can barely fathom the simple-mindedness of New Yorkers sometimes. They say you're sophisticated, but having taken the PATH over from Jersey City more than a few times, I have to say, you think in obsolete stereotypes and it shows.

Anyway, we're hotly contesting DC's rule as a city-state, how it overlords over the real states, the united fifty, and pretends to be sovereign somehow, above the law. I'm for driving the District out of the union. We won't lose any stars over it. We already don't have a real president; another impotus pretends to man the cockpit.

I've changed my mind about reposting the Iranian Festival slides and decided to enlist the help of AI in doing a more Logan's Run fantasy view of the City of Morons, suitably allowed to age in place.