Friday, November 03, 2023

Teachers' Strike

Coding with Kids

FaceBook chatter...

Kirby Urner:  They're going to announce at 7 pm tonight (Halloween) whether the Portland Public Schools strike is on or off starting tomorrow. I got an email from a former employer about these new online sessions for affected students.

Julie Urner:  Maybe you will get a few gigs, but my guess is that the strike won't last long. What to Know

Hayden Dunn: going to cross the picket line?

Kirby Urner:  I'm not with Coding with Kids anymore. I could go back, but they want you to sign a non-compete, and I'd prefer to compete. 

My angle during the strike is to encourage high school math teachers to keep occupied and up on their game by studying the curriculum I wrote when teaching 8th grade, for Sunshine Elite Education (SEE), a private school for techie families in the Silicon Forest.

That's all free and cloneable, as well as forkable, presuming said teachers are Git savvy. If said teachers want to meet me in person and set up a workshop, that's not strike breaking activity. That's like striking actors trying to stay in shape by hiring some kind of coach. Maybe the union itself wants to contract with me. I'd rather work with teachers than directly with their students.

Hayden Dunn: I was wondering. I didn’t really see you as a scab.

Kirby Urner: even if I stayed with CwK, it was an after school program that depended on cooperation from faculty. In moving to an online format, per Covid, they’re probably not seen as scabs as their program does not count towards a degree within the system. They don’t do the same job in other words.