Thursday, September 08, 2022

Pronouns Again

 
Originally posted to the TTBC listserv. Some typos fixed in this version.
-- 

With all this talk about pronouns in Lower48 (probably Hawaii too), there seems little introspection on the problematic "we", as in "we invaded Iraq" or some such nonsense (I certainly didn't, so don't include me in any such "we" -- I don't have nuclear weapons either, so no "we" there either). Don't tell me Uncle Sam did it because in my mind he's off the hook, resting in peace and all that (a soul searching Grunch is in the control room these days).

But then comes "we" as in "humans in Universe" in which case I (a human) get to be responsible for an ongoing criminal operation, our operation, against a precious planet. Maybe that's not the best way to look at it? Too aggressive? 

People sang something about overcoming. Were those the alcoholic Gurdjieffians that Bucky talks about? Alec's book has inspired me to look more into that relationship, twixt Bucky, and G & O. [2]

I have Fuller's Dymaxion Map in the picture, showing how any mature / lasting "we" must consider itself at least the whole globe i.e. "we the people" can't be just some island or continent.

"Think globally act locally" is akin to the enjoinder to "Drive Safely". This idea that globalism is anti-nationalism seems wrong to me. The only good nationalist screenwriting comes from those able to think globally. The rest is from morons.  

But then you have those teams and various Venn Diagram games, vs how to deploy one's pronouns more narrowly, in the context of language games (world games). Back to "we" and "I" in the small sense. Back to loner individuals and the Wild West. [3]

Kirby

[1] from a previous post. Re Math Forum. Started at Swarthmore College, acquired by Drexel, then taken over by NCTM. I'd call it a hostile takeover given the consequences. NCTM = National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. In the UK, the corresponding body was founded by one Caleb Gattegno, or so "they" tell me.

[2] https://controlroom.blogspot.com/2022/09/of-g-o.html

[3] aka WestWorld (curating a favorite artwork):
https://youtu.be/elkHuRROPfk