Saturday, September 17, 2022

Campfire Hero

I'm still the hero in little ways, like when my router died, and I found a new one on sale (because an older model) for cheap, got it up and running in short order.  In the meantime, the CenturyLink modem came with its own Wifi, and I've learned to keep one of the laptops on direct Ethernet.

Just now I was a hero because I'd regenerated some access token with one chance to copy it, for Github access. That's where I'm working with teachers on a High School of Tomorrow kind of curriculum, one that incorporates Github and Git.  So I should know this stuff right?  I more swill around in it, the big pig, learning as I go.  The proud boar in the mud.

The WiFi laptop had no idea of the Ethernet laptop's doings and when I went to git push, authentication failed immediately.  How could I (a) force Git to prompt for new credentials (lots of Windows answers) and (b) push the new token through its password mouth.  That was my morning battle, with coffee and time off to think it through slowly.  I believe I came to an optimal solution, which I'll not bore you with.

OK, I will, bore on!  I emailed the token from one laptop, equivalent to archiving it in the cloud and do we trust the cloud.  Maybe the next step is to delete that email.  Then, after wandering through some reams on StackOverFlow, I finally found this gem (for my problem).  The next git push caused a prompt, and I've verified username.  The new token served.

Finally, I managed a second time this season around that 14 mile loop, down to OMSI, south to Sellwood (the new extended pavement got us lost), over to I-205 (past Precision Cast Parts), and north to Division.  That's not exactly how it all went, given a flat tire (not one of mine).  Division was repaved and ready, for today...

What's today?  TriMet unveils its new "bendy bus" service along route 2, from Gresham to downtown by way of Division and OMSI.  The service is free to help publicize, familiarize, do some testing.  Tomorrow it starts "for real".  TriMet is the hero, for sculpting a future (chiseling new features).  That reminds me of another hero story...

I finally tackled Apple Pay and got a virtual Hop card wired to a credit card in my virtual wallet.  The next time I hop a bus, I should be able to wave the phone somehow.  Except not today as the debut service is free.

You've gotta do some of your own patting yourself on your own back, for a job well done from time to time.  Others may not have time for your details, which they've dismissed as irrelevant.  You're being a hero nonetheless, and giving yourself credit for it.  

I'm saying that's healthy sometimes, like logs on the fire, as we keep the mythic (mithraic) campfire burning.

A next chance to be a hero:  that newly regenerated Github token expires soon.