Saturday, June 03, 2006

Another Shop Talk

I'll need to bone up on Oracle 8, now that I'm redeveloping SQL against that target, via an ODBC pipeline from Microsoft Visual FoxPro (VFP).

So far, I'm sucking too much content through my remote views, applying all the logic client side, which is fine, given our dire need for data, post system switchover.

However, I should go back and rewrite these as "SQL pass through" (SPT) queries, meaning they go through verbatim in Oracle-compliant SQL via VFP's SQLEXEC. The result cursors should then be finalized data sets, with the various joins and boolean filters already applied by the capable Oracle engine.

I've documented this need for a rewrite in the source code (in pulldata.prg).

We'll see if I get to it.

Probably I should visit Powell's Technical downtown for a good Oracle 8 book. I'm specifically in need of more on the new datetime field type and related functions -- more than I've yet been able to discover while browsing the web.