Sunday, December 24, 2023

Xmas Eve 2023

Mellow Mushroom Interior

This morning, some kind of water main burst, blocks away, unleashing a torrent. Danny had to step over or through the rushing curbside rivulet to bring in the groceries, delivered by a cutely painted Kroger van. I later headed out to take some pictures but streets were blocked with yellow tape. The water was stopped not long after, once the utility vehicles arrived.

Whenever I travel, my habit is to notice the franchises, the brands. We have Kroger in Portland, but in the guise of Fred Meyer. We also have Chick-fil-A, but not on seemingly every other block like here in Atlanta. I haven't seen any White Castles. Mellow Mushroom, a pizza place, was pretty fun, as was Fire Maker, the microbrewery.

Tara and I went to the Center for Puppetry Arts a few days ago, where I pushed her around in a wheelchair. I'm a big Jim Henson fan and this museum devotes several rooms to his Muppets. Another room reminds us of the whole history of puppets and of the fact that they're not just for children, cartoons either, as Walt Disney well knew.

In contrast to my cozy scene with family, I'm glued to my social media. For decades, I was pretty devoted to CBS as a source of news and even sent letters to its writers, suggesting various no doubt bizarre-to-them storylines. I've always been engaged with world events, and don't consider myself that unusual in this regard. These days, I live in my echo chamber of self selected most-watched Rumble and YouTube channels, which slowly evolves.

Wanderers had their traditional Winter Solstice Celebration at the Linus Pauling House on Hawthorne, back in Asylum District, my home neighborhood. Some friends who were present sent me a few pictures and posted others to Facebook. Social media also keeps me patched in to my peeps. 

Wandering the streets of midtown Atlanta on a misty day, I connected with friends around the world, sharing somewhat blurry phone pix (blurry because of a chipped plastic lens cover).

Fire Maker Microbrewery