Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Central Oregon Revisited

Smith Rock

Readers, searchers, of these journals, may have already encountered various sojourns through Central Oregon, high desert country.  My in-laws, my wife’s brother and his partner Judy, came to Oregon well before I returned in the mid 1980s. They eventually settled in the Sisters area and Dawn and I, Alexia, and later Tara, would go visit them, through various chapters. Alexia would live with them in one chapter.

Without going back myself, and consulting everything I’ve said, I’m recalling Extremely Remote Livingry (XRL), an acronym that probably won’t catch on, but tries to capture the mix of high and low tech that might make remote, so-called off-grid living an enjoyable experience. Not that humans don’t already enjoy such environments. Per GST, we spiral through periodic improvements, as to what’s in inventory.  Do we always remember though? What we already have?

As an older guy with a lifetime of writing, I’m trying to train myself away from the “two spaces after a period” rule, which by social agreement, is falling by the wayside (has fallen). Lately I’ve been editing some of these blog posts with an eye toward removing the offending spaces, as more offending typos. I’m doing this without the benefit of my office device, having been sent on the road by my company.

A health goal for me is to not turn into a Homer Simpson donut eating machine around foods I adore.  I’m at an age where the management function is not meant to stay back burner.  I ate way too many BBQ flavored potato chips yesterday. We watched History channel tell us stories about North American brands, such as Jiff versus Peter Pan versus Skippy. Pepsi versus Coca-Cola. The subtitle might be “business heroes” i.e. we’re celebrating innovation, including in tricky ways to get moms choosing the right stuff.  We don’t spend a lot of time on Lucky Strikes for women story from a health industry angle. We stay focused on the parade stunt (strident stylish women appeared to protest, while smoking).

This morning I’m touching base with a few in my far-flung network, tangentially talking “design science revolution” in the sense of what memes caused us to find one another in the first place. Networks are content-driven meaning one’s tribe’s identity is knit together with interweaving stories, with overlapping casts. If you don’t have a tribal lore up close, civilization offers fall-backs, including the worldly mega-religions, such as Mormonism. I’m thinking about Las Vegas these days for various reasons, which brings of memories of documentaries and books.

Although in the high desert, I’m hardly roughing it. I’m not camping or doing anything that remote. We drove over to Smith Rock (dog Sy, and I) just to make sure it’s still there. I’m using what I call the ISEPP iPad to get my work done (company business).