Thursday, June 02, 2016

Pycon 2016 Concludes


I'm in the talk on KivyPycon 2016 is almost over, though with Sprints still to go.

I just met Dorian from Cuba, on the hallway track, thanks to our exchange on python-cuba.

During the poster session, Robin Dunn introduced me to a developer working on an educational game for the Android tablet, thanks to the X-Prize contest.

Kivy is much further along for the Android than for iOS, given that iOS tools tend to be expensive.

Peter Farrell, another math-through-coding avatar, went over to Benson High School to "stir up trouble" with his Pythonic math book.  Benson assured him they do no coding in math class (surprise surprise).

Yesterday we took in the Python and music making talk.  Pyknon will let us build MIDI files.  JythonMusic was the other one we learned about.

I had some more hallway track discussions with QuantumDoug.  He hadn't known about the SymPy Clifford Algebra module.  Will it work to elucidate the content of Chris Doran's book?

I did sign up to give a Lightning Talk on Wednesday morning, but so had a ton of other people and I was not surprised in the least to not make it to the big stage.  I'd had an opportunity already, at eduSummit, where the audience was more focused to begin with.  Let someone else get a chance.

One of the most endearing Lightning Talks was by a human from OMSI (a female) yakking about our species, the python, the snake.  Although Python the computer language was named by Guido being snarky, referencing the irreverent comedy troupe, in retrospect that proved a stroke of marketing genius.

As readers of these blogs of mine may remember, my friend and former co-worker Patrick has been developing a configurable and programmable trap for snakes, with pythons in the Everglades a primary target.  The client decides if the trap has to be lethal.

The software is designed to be discriminating in that endangered snakes might be let go (any snake in a potentially lethal trap is by definition endangered, however I meant as a category or species).

Peter Farrell and I visited with Patrick briefly last night, betwixt our post eduSummit dinner at Dawarka's, and his hopping back on Tri-Met, back to his downtown hotel on Stark Street.

My thanks to Gerard Blais of Washington DC, a data scientist, for cluing me about the Amazon Web Services party on the top floor of the swank hotel across the street from our venue.  I'd been there a couple nights before with Leticia and Henrique (very fluent Portuguese speakers), and Luciano Ramalho of Fluent Python fame.   That party met at The Commons last night, on Belmont, while Peter, Patrick and I had our little get together in Asylum District.