Thursday, January 28, 2010

Update on Projects

:: by D. Koski using vZome ::

Open Source:

I again tackled making the Win 7 laptop (named Flextegrity) a dual boot machine. My diagnosis is the motherboard Core i3 video is not yet Ubuntu-compatible, as of version 9.10 (Karmic Koala). I could only find one post on the problem.

Over on edu-sig, I've continued having fruitful dialog with some talented teachers. That's quite a strong archive if I say so myself. The PSF list is heating up with more discussions of nominations, which I feel at liberty to share, as Pycon is coming right up, so tiz the season. I'm just a freshman, joined PSF in 2009, so I've just been lurking mostly. This is my first time to even see the process.

Flextegrity:

A new shipment of version 5 has arrived, in multiple colors. We dove into assembly mode, building a tower. The parts are Home Depot compatible, or should be.

Replacing a squares-based with a triangles-based knitting pattern in later versions, made Flextegrity more robust, less brick-like. The orientation of the icosahedra in their join matrix was key.


Synergetics:

I've "amberized" (frozen) the Wikipedia entry on Synergetics up to the latest SNEC fork, by moving it over to Wikieducator. I realize I have limited control over the Wikipedia version, should not expect it to stay on the track I originally envisioned for it.

On WikiEducator, I'm more like the school teacher or artist, with more creative control over the pages I instantiate. I've got a bunch. The Python Tutorials page was a collaborative effort.

Regarding the WikiEducator version: that first paragraph and block quote after "What is Synergetics?" was already the opening salvo when I inherited the page on Wikipedia. The page was languishing as a "stub" at the time.

I added the bullets, also verbatim Synergetics, then spent the balance of the entry seeking to shed light on those claims while providing more of a philosophical and/or literary context.

Think of Synergetics as akin to Finnegans Wake, with my contribution exegesis thereon -- a perfectly legitimate Wikipedia topic. Or maybe use the term "hermeneutics" if "exegesis" sounds too Biblical for ya?