Friday, March 25, 2016

Twists and Turns

Uncle Bill's Visits

 I've been feeling on a longer leash, as no longer a dog's caretaker, and spent an extra long time downtown yesterday, meeting Uncle Bill's train, having lunch at Ringler's and re-depositing him at Union Station, with a quick run through Powell's.

Uncle Bill has a walker and parking is scarce, however that proved the ideal combination.  I used the City Park by the Multnomah County Library and he was able to make it to Ringler's, on Burnside from there, passing by Jake's in route.

The 15 minute spot near the book store proved the ideal pickup point and he was back at the station in time for the 4:05 PM, having arrived, early, from Seattle, on the 1:50 PM Coast Starlight.  He was just out having an adventure, a former mining engineer at ninety-one.

Then I stayed downtown, a luxury, until Patrick could join me, at a Rogue outlet near the Python User Group meetup.  I went back to Powell's and studied their current Python book collection in particular -- I'm talking about the computer language, popular in code schools and one I've taught for a living.

The Portland Python User Group talk was high quality, about civil engineering, the scipy stack, Anaconda and Jupyter Notebooks -- a lot of the same stuff I'm into.  I left feeling confidant the information I've been sharing with Californians (a night school gig) was on the money.

I also reconnected with one of my code school students.  I offered a course in Accelerated Programming as a public service, at PSU's Business Accelerator Center.  Since then, I've been in contact with other brain-stormers in the code school business, an exciting area these days, maybe taking off in Portland, once named Capital of Open Source by Christian Science Monitor.

What happened today was less smooth sailing however.  I hit the micro-gym, then Mt. Tabor, and all was going fine until my routine descent.  The weather was decent, better than decent.

One of the sloping sidewalks near the park entrance is uber-slick with seasonal moss, very ice-like, and down I went all akimbo.  The right ankle got stretched yet again.  Both ankles have taken some abuse of late.  I was hoping to minimize the stress, not set myself back again.

DSCF4004
:: slip zone -- newly exposed moss ::

I hobbled to the Hawthorne bus 14, re-buying the Trimet Ticket app, this being a new phone (HTC running Marshmallow). I was in the role of a grimacing cripple, and only just made it to Townsend Tea on Division, where I met up with Lindsey per our plan.  I used the torture taxi to get there, but then only found parking blocks away.

I'll go for ice and warm packs and take some ibuprofen.

Hey, it coulda been worse.  I didn't hit my head.

At the tea house I pampered myself with an "infantile regression" drink:  bubble tea made from coconut-flavored roiboos with succulent tapioca pearls, sucked through a fat straw stuck through a plastic diaphragm (more packaging than Lindsey could approve).  Yes, it's a silly drink, imbibed mostly for entertainment, but it helped me keep my attention on Lindsey's new plans and off my sore foot.

At the User Group I asked about hexapent tiling, how frequent in his line of work, rubbing shoulders with ESRI and so on.  At the data sampling level, poles in the ground, cell towers, the hexagonal tiling suggests itself, but when modeling the coordinates are always XY (lat / long) or XYZ, so in that sense, the data is not using quadrays or anything like that.

Patrick and I are engaged in discussions of mesh-netting the Everglades, extending cell service to "wastelands" where no Verizon customers are likely to hang out.  But in the Internet of Things era, cell service subscribers may be ownerless devices, too numerous to individually have owners, like chips on a board.  Spread out across an ecosystem, these devices chirp and chat about who is sharing the forest.  Pythons?  In the Everglades, those have been a problem.  Patrick is working on it.