Thursday, May 28, 2009

More Tech Talk

Skulletarium
(click through to Flickr photostream)

Thanks to the new O'Reilly book coming in the mail, Using Google App Engine by Charles "Dr. Chuck" Severance, me named as a technical reviewer, I'm galvanized to do technical reviews all over the place.

I dove into comparing and contrasting two approaches on O'Reilly's Safari, to Python descriptors, clearly favoring David Beazely's approach. I also dove into itertools again, showing yet another way to define Cayley Tables of totatives for simple algebra-teaching purposes.

Glenn recommends Rodney Strong chardonnay as a good buy, and given I'm joining some emeritus types for a luncheon, I thought I'd be socially adept and actually bring a bottle of something, drink the whole thing in front of 'em (joke).

Then come some additional visitations, with R&R on the weekend, in some tame game Victorian salon (no, not Chuckie Cheese) maybe do a séance? As long as we don't talk about Darwin I should be able to handle it (I have nothing against Darwin mind you, am allied with the Catholics in thinking DNA is OK -- we're open minded that way).

What are the barriers to more intelligent commercials? I have that vodka one planned, could repurpose it, other clever storyboards, but then I'm not Weiden + Kennedy.

Why don't pharmacologists want more icosahedral virus cartoons, about H1N1 or whatever?

What's the hold-up on 1, 12, 42, 92... making its way into children's books about great all-American inventors, such as Alexander Graham Bell?

Why is NCLB still a sick joke in so many zip codes?

These are some questions to investigate this summer. I should talk to people in Salem more, as maybe it's mostly just a matter of joining the right lobbying groups?

A lunch topic perhaps? OK, time to go buy that bottle of wine, maybe some goat cheese to go with it.

Note: Don phoned to say he saw an article in Willamette Week saying LEP High was given a three year extension. My evening appointment got canceled. Maybe watch CBS News, take Tink for a ride?

Followup: yes, rode Tink. Found out later I didn't get Glenn's favorite Rodney Strong, has to say Cliff Hill on the label, so that's still ahead of me.