Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Saving Children


These two were working a busy downtown street corner, doing serious work to save hearts and minds around the world, including in the Philippines, home to my high school.

I started my usual loser argument about how free wifi is more important than water, and in some cases having tele- communications is what's most critical, but of course wifi takes electricity and many world communities still don't have that, not even from batteries.

I flashed my credentials as an "open source blogger about town" to the guy's PDA, got permission for this promo. It's not either/or, not water or wifi -- better to have both.

She's from Boston, proud of her heritage, which includes this XO, thanks to MIT's One Laptop Per Child initiative (G1G1 posters all over town).